Before I tell you about the latest episode of The Beauty Business Podcast, I would like to say a huge thanks to everyone who had been with us since the start of the season . . . or even before that. Your unending support, feedback and comments for this podcast is truly appreciated!
We’ve been graced by some wonderful experts from the health and beauty industry that have inspired and taught us so much that some of the episodes in this season have been labeled ‘’mini-masterclasses.”
It’s my mission to bring you the best person with the knowledge and expertise on these each of the topics we discuss on the show and hope that you all have learned a lot in the past few weeks AND you are implementing it in your business!
Remember “KNOWLEDGE without ACTION is USELESS!”
OK . . back to our season finale…
If you’ve found it difficult to find the right person to join your team recently, you’re not alone. It appears that there’s a shortage of quality talent in the industry. Shocking! 😮
So to finish off the last season with a bang…we are joined by an amazingly talented recruitment specialist and award-winning salon owner to treat us to another “mini masterclass” about a very much talked-about topic on how to attract the right talent for your business!
Let’s give it up for Stefania Rossi, who is an expert in the recruitment process as she has over 15 years of experience in recruitment and someone who has proven it’s possible to take a failing salon with a demotivated team and turn it in to an award winning business . . . in just 2 years. Imagine that!
To hear another content-packed episode . . . you can hit play now!
For all the links, visit the show notes page: Click here!
Episode Highlights and Takeaways:
Recruitment Crisis in the Beauty Business Industry (10:22)
“Over 80% of the employers across the board are finding recruiting qualified and experienced staff really hard.”
“Do I actually believe that there is a shortage of great talent out there? No. I think that we really need to attract that talent a little bit better to our businesses.”
How to Attract the Right Team Members (11:32)
“I know that the right candidates are out there they just perhaps needs a little help finding their way into our salons.”
“As employers, we need to recognize ways to make our business more attractive to the best talent, to those employees.”
How To Tell What Motivates A Potential Hire (24:48)
“As a manager what I try to really understand is what each individual team members tick.”
5 Top Ways To Attract Top Talent To My Business (13:00)
- Showing Off Your Business (13:15)
– This is all about your brand.
“For me it is very important . . to attract the right people to our business, we need to be clear about what our brand is.”
- Create An Enviable Environment (16:20)
– This all about the culture and environment of your business.
“What type of environment they are looking for? If they don’t fit in then we will have a total mismatch and it just won’t work out.”
- Career and Development Opportunities (19:45)
– This is about investing in staff training and offering self-improvement and self-development aside from simply job and title promotions.
“When attracting an employee, we need to be clear about what our offer is that’s on the table.”
“The sector is so competitive and if we don’t really train our staff, we won’t be able to offer the same high standards, the consistency and the staff will be demotivated and they won’t feel valued enough.”
- Recognizing Great Work (22:45)
– This is about reward and recognition. We need to know what makes each employee become motivated.
“We all look forward to rewards and recognition, but everyone has different wants and needs.”
- Perfecting the Interview Process (26:37)
– This is where we identify if we are an ideal match.
“This is where the real work comes in, it’s a two-way conversation and at the end of the day the purpose of this process is to determine are we right for that employee and are they right for us?”
What Kind of Questions To Ask During The Initial Interview (31:10)
Sample questions to ask:
- “What what is that made you apply for this position?”
- “What do you know about us a business?”
- “Have they applied to a lot of jobs?”
- “Are they really interested in THIS job?”
Next Part of the Hiring Process After The Initial Interview (32:24)
Six Ways of Recruiting by Stefania Rossi (33:52)
- Intro (34:12)
– Start with an intro which is mainly talking about themselves.
- What makes you standout from the others?
- What do you love about your job?
- Why do you want to work here?
- All about skills (34:26)
– This is where you will learn about their skills, interests and knowledge
- What are your strongest skills?
- What are your weakest skills?
- Tell me about the additional training that you are looking for?
- Under Fire (35:31)
– To know how they deal with conflict
- Have you ever dealt with an upset client and how did you deal with that?
- All about Their Future (35:36)
– To know their aspirations
- Tell me the best feedback you have received so far?
- Where do you see your career going?
- What plans do you have for the future?
- What is the biggest achievement you’ve had?
- Team Dynamics (36:33)
– To know if they are a team-player.
- What do you think is the best part about working with a team?
- Do you prefer teamwork or prefer working by yourself?
- How do you handle it if you don’t want to be part of a team?
- The Round Up (37:12)
- To see if they have done their homework about your business.
- What do you know about this business?
- What part of the business appeals to you?
- Do you have questions for me?
- Why are you interested to come work for us?
How Many Should You Interview to Get the Right Candidate? (38:00)
“I could potentially speak to absolutely everyone and I will select it down to usually to about 5 or 6 but it really depends on the caliber of the applicants.”
What Sort of Time Commitment to Put Aside to Be Confident that You Have Hired the Right Person (40:12)
“My advice would be to be commit as much time as possible to hire the right individual.”
“If you get the wrong person, it can make or break your business.”
This Episode is brought to you by:
This episode of The Beauty Business Podcast was supported by Kabbage.com.
Kabbage helps small business owners access simple and flexible funding, up to $250K, right away, without the headaches that come with applying for a traditional loan.
Special Offer for Beauty Business Podcast Listeners from Kabbage.com:
Qualify for funding and get a $100 e-gift card – Apply for up to $250,000 of funding through Kabbage, and you’ll get a $100 e-gift card when you qualify (1) . Get Started!
Qualify for funding. Get a $100 e-gift card
Apply for up to $250,000 of funding through Kabbage, and you’ll get a $100 e-gift card when you qualify (1). Get Started!
– Apply securely in minutes
– Access a line of credit of up to $250,000 (2)
– Withdraw what you need, when you need it
– Only pay for what you use
1. Customers who apply for a Kabbage line of credit using the link in this email and are approved will receive a $100 Tango e-gift card via email 3-4 weeks after qualifying. The Tango card can be redeemed for one gift card toward the customer’s choice of dozens of restaurants, retailers, spas or other experiences. Kabbage reserves the right to cancel the promotion at any time. This offer is single-use and non-transferrable. Valid in the US only.
2. Credit lines are subject to periodic review and change, including line reduction, line increases, or line elimination. This is not a revolving account. Individual requests for capital are separate installment loans.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Connect with Stefania Rossi:
Learn more about Hidden Talent:
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hiddentalent/
Share a quote from this Episode:
“I think at the end of the day, we know that the people in our team are the people that will make our business a success.” – Stefania Rossi
Help a colleague or someone you know who’d be interested by sharing this episode!
Show your love and support by rating us on iTunes or any podcast website where we are available. By sharing and rating us, this will allow us to improve and also, create more episodes just for YOU!